Monday, July 14, 2008

Go ask your father

The other day Gavin, my 3 year old, asked me why God lets bad things happen. (I think he was concerned because of some stormy weather that had recently experienced.) Hmmm. How do you explain something to a 3 year old that is so hard for even us adults to understand sometimes. I tried to explain to him that while we live on earth sometimes bad things will happen. People will get sick, there will be storms, and there will be times when we feel sad. But, when we get to heaven everything will be happy and perfect and we will get to be with God.
This lead Gavin to another question; "how do we get to heaven?" (Did I mention that he is 3) "Ummm, well", I fumbled, "you have to believe in God and do the things he wants us to do. That's why we read the Bible. " He seemed satisfied with this simplified answer. But yet, another question: "Mom, can Joey (our beagle) believe in God? He wants to go to heaven with me."
"You can ask daddy when he gets home" ;)

2 comments:

Laura said...

That is so funny! Kennedy has seen 7 baptisms in the last 3 weeks...try explaining that one to a 3 year old. When she asked why they got baptized, I told her it was because they love Jesus. She then went on about how she loves Jesus too...she may be asking to get dunked herself in the next week or two!

Anonymous said...

All dogs go to heaven!