Friday, March 4, 2011

Away We Go: Part 4

Looking back now, the rest of our time in Ethiopia was kind of a blur, full of happy and sad, excitement and anxiety.    I am glad I took the time to journal about it each day, preserving details I was sure I would never forget, but already have.
We woke to a freshly made hot breakfast every morning (except the one when the power was out) and were then taken to the HOH to see Wren.  We were nervous each time, not knowing if she would be glad to see us.  But she was always happy, even when wasn't feeling so hot for part of our visit.  Runny nose and an icky cough made for a sleepy girl.  She fell asleep in my arms twice - which is just the best feeling, let me tell ya.  We got to perform other normal parental duties as well, like change her diaper and feed her lunch (they feed her so much!  it's like an enormous bowl of cream of chicken soup).

After our morning visits our driver would take us back to the guest house for lunch, which was always accompanied by coffee and Coke.  Coffee and Coke.  Coffee and Coke.  Every meal, all the time. Even at breakfast.  Not sure if you know this, but coffee is kind of a BIG deal in Ethiopia.  Coffee was born in Ethiopia and coffee ceremonies are held daily.  We didn't have the chance to be part of a coffee ceremony on this visit, but will on the next.

After Wren's afternoon nap we got to back for our second visit of the day.  Again, she was always easy going and easily entertained.  We would played music from our computer or phone to see what her reaction was.  She especially loved the itunes visualizer and some old school Michael Jackson.  Ya gotta start somewhere...

On our second to last day in Addis we were able to meet Wren's birthmother.  For weeks I had been very nervous about this meeting.  Like, sick nervous.  I really had no idea what to expect.  Her mother had traveled from southern Ethiopia, a two day trip, to go to court and then meet us.  Even thinking about it now I get uneasy.  She was very polite, she answered most of our questions. It was hard to tell if she was sad or bitter.  She was very reserved, showing no real emotion.  My heart broke for her. I am sure it was painful for her.  So needless to say, it wasn't an easy meeting.  I'd go as far to say it was the most awkward moment of  my life.  We will save the details of our meeting for Wren.  It is her story, her family history.  As awkward as it was, I am glad we had the opportunity to meet her and someday share it with her daughter.

No comments: