Saturday, November 3, 2012

The never ending stairs

When I jumped on the Pinterest bandwagon about a year and a half ago, this was one of the first things I pinned.  It was just the inspiration I needed to get rid of the icky carpet on our stairs.  



So one day, on a whim, I ripped out all that carpet.  My husband was thrilled!  


Hiding underneath the carpet were perfectly good pine stair treads.  Yay!  But they were covered in 50 gajillion  staples.  Boo!  Turns out that pulling up the carpet was the easy part of the job.  Removing staples was not.  Them suckers were in there good.  Not to mention all the hole filling and sanding that followed.  Let's just say this wasn't weekend project that I thought it would be.

see how thrilled Jeff looks?
adorable child labor
So we filled and sanded.  And filled and sanded some more.  And finally had nice, smooth, naked stairs. I decided to paint the risers white and treads black.  All the while thinking and plotting about what clever song or saying I could paint on the risers.  Maybe a bible verse?  Or a Bealtes song.  Something inspirational.  About walking, or taking steps.  I'm so clever.


But eventually I stopped dreaming about the stairs and whatever clever/funny/insprationl mumbo jumbo I could paint on them.  I was down to the final coats of paint and I just couldn't seem to get a nice crisp line in the crease of the tread and riser (all the seams were caulked, so that made it really tricky - painters tape was no help)  It was driving me crazy.  So I quit.  And left the stairs 90% finished for about a year.

But I recently regained the motivation I needed when some furniture delivery men removed our old mattress.  They slid the old boxspring down the stairs. Scraping and gouging each step.  Jerk faces. So I finally carved out some time to fix the stairs.  And I went ahead and used an artist brush to try and straighten up all the wonky lines where black meets white.  

good enough
So if you come to my house, you'll see these pretty stairs.  Only your not allowed to slide furniture down them.  Or walk on them.  
I still have no motivation to paint anything witty on the stairs.  Maybe it'll come to me someday.  Or maybe you have a brilliant idea you'd like to share.

No comments: